Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Services
As the largest provider of Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) non-residential services in the Bayside region, the AOD Program at Star Health is committed to providing timely consumer and community focussed support through the provision of individualised AOD treatment planning and working with the local community to reduce harms and to improve the health of people who use substances.
Our Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) team are open for referrals
We are very happy to support individuals, couples and families who want to start kicking goals this 2020 around their substance use and want to make an improvement on their quality of life.
These services are free of charge.
We are able to provide a range of services including:
- Alcohol and other drugs counselling at all of our Star Health sites. Services are confidential, tailored to your needs and provided by one of our AOD counsellors. Appointments are offered within 1 business day from when we receive the referral.
- After hours counselling appointments are also available at our Prahran site every fortnight on Wednesdays for those who have work or other commitments during business hours. First appointment is at 5pm, with last one at 7pm. We have several vacancies at the moment.
- Family specific AOD counselling for individuals, couples and families who have a loved one with substance use issues.
- SMART recovery meetings at Prahran every Friday from 1-2:30pm and South Melbourne on Thursdays from 3 to 4:30pm.
- Alcohol and other drugs outreach counselling for individuals who have difficulties to access mainstream services (e.g. mobility issues). We are able to meet the client within the community, where it’s safe and comfortable.
- Dual diagnosis clinic at Prahran and South Melbourne for individuals who present with both mental health and substance use issues. Also secondary consultations are available.
- Support for individuals who are wanting to access home based detox. Our team of nurses are also able to provide support before and after detox.
- Support to link and navigate other services with care and recovery coordination (CRC).
- Referral to resi-detox, rehab & day hab.
- Information about safer ways to use, overdose prevention, including access to free Naloxone and training.
- Mobile and centre based needle and syringe program.
How do you refer?
Call Bayside AOD intake service to complete an AOD referral and/or discuss other available AOD support and treatment
Call: 1800 229 263
About Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Services
Star Health’s AOD program is a central access point for all alcohol and other drug services located in Prahran, St Kilda, Bentleigh, and the South Melbourne area. We can help identify which services can support you and connect you to them.
If drug or alcohol related issues are affecting you or someone you care about, contact us to find out how the AOD Program works and what options are available for you or the person you are concerned about.
What we can offer you:
- Intake, assessment and an individualised AOD treatment plan
- Referral to AOD services throughout Victoria (residential and non-residential)
- Advice, information, and education around AOD use
- Alcohol Counselling and Other Drug Counselling, Harm Reduction, Assessment and Referral
- Specialised AOD Counselling
- Support and/or specialised counselling for family members and significant others
- Group support
- Care coordination and outreach services
- Home based withdrawal services
- Advocacy and support to navigate the AOD treatment system
To find out more about the needle and syringe program and projects working with the local community, please see: Harm Reduction Programs
How do I Access the AOD Program?
The AOD Program is open to:
- Consumers over 16 years of age
- Consumers who reside in the Bayside region who are seeking support around AOD issues
- Family members and/or significant others of people with an AOD issue
Services are available in South Melbourne, Prahran, St Kilda and Bentleigh.
For specialist Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex & Queer Alcohol and Drug Services
Free call: 1800 906 669
BayAODS Free call: 1800 229 263
Bayside Alcohol and Other Drug Services: (03) 9690 9778
How much will it cost?
The AOD Program provides free services.
Additional Online Resources
- Helplines, online counselling & service directories
- Women’s, babies and pregnancy AOD services
- LGBTQI AOD services
- Mental Health/AOD & Personality Disorder Services
- Young people’s AOD services
- Prisoners and others involved in the criminal justice system
- Alcohol and Other Drug Facts
- Harm reduction
- Alcohol and Other Drug Counselling, residential treatment & other services
- Health and Human Services Information
- Careers in AOD