LGBTI+ safe and inclusive services
At Star Health we are committed to providing an inclusive service, and work environment where individuals feel accepted, safe, affirmed and celebrated.
Star Health is committed to equity irrespective of cultural or linguistic background, sexual orientation, gender identity (LGBTI+), intersex status, religion or spiritual beliefs, socio-economic status, age, or abilities.
Star Health is a Rainbow Tick accredited organisation. This means we provide a safe and inclusive service and workplace to our clients, staff and volunteers. You can read more about the Rainbow Tick here: http://www.glhv.org.au/lgbti-inclusive-practice
Tell us about your experience of our services:
We are committed to working with LGBTI+ communities and individuals to improve our services.
We do annual reviews of our services to ensure they are inclusive to LGBTI+ communities.
If you would like to get involved you can:
Provide anonymous feedback
Call the CEO on 9525 1300
Participate in our yearly LGBTI+ survey (released on the weekend of Midsumma each year).
Participate in our LGBTI+ focus groups – these workshops co-design new improvements for our services with LGBTI+ community members and Star Health staff.
Midsumma and Pride
We attend Midsumma and Pride every year and would love to see you there! We will have a stall on January 19, come and visit us!
Other services and resources
- Australian Human Rights Commission: this independent body promotes and helps protection of human rights in Australia by education and public awareness, discrimination and human rights complaints, human rights compliance, policy and legislative development.
- Transgender Victoria (TGV): aims to achieve justice and equity for trans* people, their partners, families and friends.
- Rainbow Health Victoria: is a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) health and wellbeing policy and resource unit. Rainbow Health is funded by the Victorian Government and sits within the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS), La Trobe University. Rainbow Health is committed to improving the health and wellbeing of LGBTI Victorians and the quality of care they receive – (03) 9479 8700.
- Rainbow Network: empowering you to provide safer, more inclusive services for young same sex attracted, intersex, trans* and gender diverse Victorians – (03) 9479 8735.
- The Fitzroy Legal Service (FLS): is now offering a free specialist LGBTIQ Legal Advice Service – (03) 9419 3744.
- Minus 18: is a web based support network for same sex attracted, gender questioning young people under 21 years of age. Minus 18 also hosts social and dance events as well as workshops.
- Genderqueer Australia: Web based resource for gender questioning and gender queer people.
- The Australian Lesbian Medical Association (ALMA): compiles a list of doctors and mental health professionals who are recommended by lesbian and bisexual women. This is a national project. There are currently around 90 doctors and mental health professionals on the list, including GPs and specialists, metropolitan and rural doctors.
- Gay and Lesbian Switchboard (Vic) Inc. (Switchboard): is a volunteer organisation which provides a free, confidential and anonymous telephone counselling, referral and information service for the Victorian and Tasmanian gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) community and its supporters – (03) 9663 2939.