Congratulations! Thinking about giving up smoking is the first step.
How can we help you live without tobacco?
Star Health provides a free service for anyone wanting to address smoking.
There are a number of ways that we can help you reduce or quit smoking so you can lead a healthier life.
During individual counselling you can talk with a specially trained smoking cessation facilitator in a safe place to discuss smoking and how it impacts your life and what it means to you. We can help you find new ways to reduce harm or give up tobacco altogether. We will consider what might work best for you by:
- Exploring your individual needs and providing you with support
- Helping you learn and guide you in finding healthy distractions
- Developing skills to change smoking related behaviour
- Helping you to develop healthier alternatives to managing stress
- Providing information, education and support around medications that assist with smoking cessation such as Nicotine Replacement Therapy, Champix or Zyban.
Together with a counsellor you can learn how to:
- Set realistic goals
- Get the support you need
- Make changes for a healthier lifestyle
- Learn about addiction and unwanted smoking patterns
- Find ways to deal with negative thoughts and feelings that can come with change
- Reward yourself in your successes and develop a positive approach to becoming smoke free.
Group work can provide another type of support. Enquire through intake and referral service to find out what smoking cessation group work is available.
Living Beyond Cigarettes is a course run once or twice a year for people who smoke and live with a mental illness. This can provide a safe space to discuss smoking with other having similar experiences. Together you can look at new ways of reducing harm or giving up smoking.
Group work in the course includes:
- Up to date information and education
- Group discussion and peer support
- Fun activities
- Mindfulness meditation
- Learning about medications that assist smoking cessation
As well as providing the Freedom From Tobacco services above, we can also link you with any other service(s) that you may need. Star Health provides a wide range of health services.
As Star Health is a leading provider of a full range of health and wellbeing services, we ensure a coordinated and multidisciplinary approach to best meet your needs.
All our staff are highly experienced and qualified health professionals.
How do I access help with smoking?
Anyone who is looking for ways to cut down or give up tobacco can access this service. The counselling service is free and available from Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.
These services are offered at the following site locations:
- St Kilda
- South Melbourne
Our staff can also visit people who are physically unable to come to our centres.
Additionally, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders may also like to view Smoke Free and Deadly – a collection of stories about tackling smoking shared by Elders and other local Indigenous community members to assist others in address smoking in their lives.
How much will it cost?
This service is free of charge.
Request an Appointment
To request an appointment call 9525 1300 or visit our Service Selector.Request Appointment