Antenatal Social Work Services
The City of Port Phillip funds an antenatal social worker to work with pregnant women living in or connected to the local area who are experiencing challenges in their lives such as unstable housing, transport issues or difficulties understanding and negotiating the social and health related services. Our Antenatal Social Worker, or ASW, goes out and about in the community to meet women and support them during their pregnancy.
About Antenatal Social Work Services
If you are pregnant (or know someone who is), and require some extra support, our ASW can give you the support and information you need to stay well and healthy during your pregnancy, which gives your baby the best possible start in life.
The ASW at Star Health can help you in the following important ways:
- Make arrangements or accompany you to maternity hospitals such as the Royal Women’s Hospital to book in for your baby’s birth and have necessary tests such as blood tests, ultrasounds and anything else required
- Help with information about quitting smoking, getting your teeth checked and more
- Help with getting special help with any alcohol or drug related issues
- Help you with housing or financial needs
- Provide information about looking after yourself and your baby during pregnancy, and parenting information to support you in your role as a parent
- Introduce you to the maternal and child health nurse who will help you after your baby is born
- Help find support and advice for your partner or the father of the baby
How do I access Antenatal Social Work Services?
Pregnant women living in or connected to the city of Port Phillip who are isolated and require some extra support can use this service by getting in touch with Star Health (see contact details below).
The service is offered in various community locations in:
- Port Melbourne
- South Melbourne
- St Kilda
- City of Stonnington
Your Star Health Antenatal Social Worker works Monday, Wednesday to Friday.
How much will it cost?
This service is free of charge.
Call 9525 1300 to speak with the Antenatal Social Worker.